You are here
Safe Routes to School - What's Happening in Humboldt
WHAT IS "SAFE ROUTES TO SCHOOL"?
Safe Routes to School (SR2S) is a nationwide movement to make it safer for children to walk and bicycle to school. SR2S promotes walking and bicycling to school through targeted education, encouragement, enforcement, and engineering projects. SR2S programs are alive and active in Humboldt County.
SR2S tools help solve infrastructure and safety barriers that keep kids from walking and biking to school. SR2S programs create safe, convenient, and fun opportunities for children to walk, bike, roll, and bus to and from school.
People active in the SR2S movement include kids, school teachers and staff, parents, neighbors, city planners, engineers, law enforcement, crossing guards, bus drivers, and bicyclists, as well as local, state, and national governments.
In Humboldt County and around the globe, schools, organizations, and local government bodies are implementing and encouraging SR2S programs.
Some of Safe Routes to School's benefits:
- Reduces traffic congestion and greenhouse gas emissions from automobiles
- Improves students' health and their sense of their surroundings
- Builds working relationships and friendships in the community
- Promotes and builds active lifestyles and livable communities for everyone
SR2S TASK FORCES - Meetings of the Countywide SR2S Task Force and the Greater Eureka SR2S Task Force.
MONTHLY SR2S NEWSLETTER - January 2017 February 2017 March 2017 April 2017 May 2017 June 2017 August 2017 September 2017 October 2017 November 2017 December 2017 January 2018
LOCAL DATA - View parent survey results, walkability assessment results, and other reports from schools in Humboldt County.
Local Walking Maps - School Walking Maps / Mapas de Paseos a las Escuelas Walk to school! Walking maps and arrival/dismissal maps (mapas de carga y descarga de estudiantes).
- School Crossing Guard Training Manual (2015) Made expressly for Humboldt County rural communities! (460 KB)
- Safe-Routes-to-School Programs in Rural California: A Guide for Communities & Partners Developed by Redwood Community Action Agency (2015). (4.9 MB)
- Transportation Safety Guidelines - A parent guide to help create a safe environment for children traveling to and from school (compiled by Redwood Community Action Agency and Humboldt County DHHS Public Health)
- Humboldt's SR2S Prioritization Toolkit: Final Report (2012) (3.3 MB pdf) Appendices A-D (1 MB pdf) Appendix E (7.6 MB pdf)
- "Step Into Safety" Family Fun Day workshop packet - English & Spanish resources (2010) (3.9 MB)
- "Getting Humboldt Students Moving Through Safer Routes" by CA4Health. Two thumbs up!
- "Maximizing Districtwide Participation in Safe Routes to School" (with Dan Pires, Transportation Director of Eureka City Schools)
Links to SR2S Advocates & Resources from local to international levels